Newt Gingrich: Newly Minted Featured Chump
In what has seemed like a never-ending game of musical chairs to determine the primary alternative to Governor Mitt Romney, Newt Gingrich’s turn has finally come for a look by GOP primary voters.
Gingrich may have a reputation for “big ideas,” but his record on women’s health can best be characterized as backward and wrong. With his rapid rise in the polls, he's catching our attention too--as a Featured Chump.
During his 20-year stint in Congress, Newt Gingrich earned his anti-women’s health stripes.
Representative Gingrich cast 74 votes on reproductive rights, and all but two of them were anti-women’s health — putting him on the wrong side of women’s health 97 percent of the time.
If anything, Gingrich’s position on women’s health has gotten WORSE since he left office in 1999. Just a few weeks ago, Gingrich said he supports a federal “life at conception” amendment and thinks Congress should use its authority to “define life and therefore undo all Roe v. Wade for the entire country in one legislative action.”
Other things Newt supports:
• eliminating funding for Title X, the national family planning program, which provides preventive health care to millions of low-income women
• eliminating all funding for Planned Parenthood and barring health centers from providing care
But that’s not all! In an effort to increase his appeal with the far right, he signed the Susan B. Anthony List’s anti-women’s health pledge, promising to
• advance “pro-life” legislation
• defund Planned Parenthood
• nominate strict constructionist judges to the federal bench
• select only “pro-life” appointees for relevant Cabinet and executive branch positions
While he may be gaining “Newtmentum,” his record against women is unwavering. One thing’s for sure, no matter how big the line of credit he has at Tiffany’s—he’ll always be a serious Chump to us.
Tell Newt you’re watching…