"What astounded me about our continuing resolution debate early in March is that the White House and the Democrats drew the line in the sand over defunding Planned Parenthood. They would have defunded our military before they defunded Planned Parenthood. That is the titanic struggle we are up against.” (CSPAN)
About Ann Marie Buerkle (NY)
From New York’s 25th Congressional District, Buerkle not only supports fringe anti-choice organizations like Operation Rescue and New York State Right to Life, but she has served as their spokeswoman to the public. In fact, she even led attempts to intimidate doctors who offer abortion care by organizing protests in front of their offices.
Unfortunately, that’s just the beginning. In 1989, she helped orchestrate an anti-Planned Parenthood rally in which a dead fetus was carried down the streets of Syracuse, NY.
Because of her twisted and unflinching commitment to restrict women’s access to health care, Buerkle has won the admiration of anti-choice ringleaders like Susan B. Anthony List, New York State Right to Life, and former Alaska Governor Sarah Palin.
During the 2010 election, Buerkle won the election by masquerading as a “fiscal conservative,” sticking politely to talking points about growing the economy. However, her real agenda was far less earnest.
She has stood with her Tea Party ideologues in support of legislation that would jeopardize women's access to health care. This includes voting to bar Planned Parenthood health centers from providing lifesaving preventative health services, as well as lashing out at against Roe v. Wade on the floor of the U.S. House.
Buerkle has earned a solid zero percent rating with Planned Parenthood Action Fund.
New York’s 25th District is subject to change under 2011 redistricting, but that area has elected women’s health champions in the past, like former Congressman Dan Maffei who is challenging Buerkle again in 2012.
In the last election, Buerkle won by a mere 648 votes. We know that Dan Maffei has the courage to take on Buerkle’s fringe positions and will fight for our issues and the women of New York – but he needs your help.
And Ann Marie Buerkle needs to know that her extreme opinions have no place in Congress.
Key Anti-Women's Health Votes
- Rep. Buerkle Addresses Family Research Council supporters at the Values Voter Summit: http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/ValueV/start/5538/stop/5954
- Buerkle Defends Vote to Cut Planned Parenthood Funding: http://www.13wham.com/news/local/story/Buerkle-Defends-Vote-to-Cut-Planned-Parenthood/N8MzJkJOBEOtJ7OvHmux8A.cspx
More Quotes from Ann Marie Buerkle
"This coming Saturday marks the 38th anniversary of Roe v. Wade, a decision that fundamentally altered the moral landscape of America... As we reflect upon this sobering anniversary and the tremendous loss of life that it represents, I see reasons for hope... As we continue to fight for the unborn, we must not cede the ground we have lost... Our forefathers understood that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights. Among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Among these, the most fundamental right is the right to life.” (YouTube)
- Across the Country, Resounding Victories for Women's Health | Jacqueline M.
- Twenty-Fourth District of New York Women's Health Face-Off: Rep. Ann Marie Buerkle vs. Former Rep. Dan Maffei | Jacqueline M.
- Women are Watching Bus Tour: A 5,000-Mile Journey to Protect Women's Health | Heather H.
- GOP Candidates Smackdown: Who's the Most Extreme on Women's Health? | Vanessa V.
- Republicans facing potential hard sell to women | Heather H.